All of our consultations are FREE. When we accept a case there are no out of pocket costs. We only get paid if we are successful for you. Contact us now for a free birth injury consultation in Des Moines, Iowa.
Speak to a Birth Injury Attorney in Des Moines, Iowa
Nothing can ever prepare you for receiving bad news after a difficult labor and delivery. The happy and joyful emotions of welcoming a new child into the world can be overwhelmed by negative feelings of sadness, anger, and confusion when you learn that something is wrong. These feelings are completely normal. Having questions is also normal.
As you process what is happening, you may find yourself wondering:
Why was my baby injured?
Could my baby’s injury have been prevented?
If you have questions about a birth injury, then you should consider speaking with a birth injury attorney.
A birth injury attorney in Des Moines, Iowa may be able to help you determine the cause of the injury and whether the injury could have been prevented.
Common conditions resulting from birth injuries include:
At the Brown Trial Firm, we believe that every child deserves the best chance in life, and that every parent deserves the support they need to help their child succeed.
Our nationally renowned birth injury attorneys are standing by to help. When we accept a case there are no out of pocket costs. We only get paid if we are successful for you.
Contact us now for a free consultation.
Birth Injury Resources in Des Moines, IA
Here we have collected resources available in your local area that are related to birth injury.
Descriptions of resources are sourced from the linked websites and are not written by the Brown Trial Firm. The Brown Trial Firm has no affiliation with these resources. Inclusion on this list and attached descriptions are not an endorsement from the Brown Trial Firm.
Treatment & Care in Des Moines, IA
Des Moines Hospitals
- Broadlawns Medical Center: The Broadlawns Medical Center campus includes an acute care hospital, emergency services, inpatient and outpatient services, lab and radiology services, mental health services, specialty clinics, dentistry, and a 24-hour crisis team.
- Mercy One Des Moines: This state-of-the-art facility is located in MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center’s East Tower and is comprised of Labor & Delivery, a Mother/Baby recovery unit, the Maternity Triage & Treatment Unit, 24-hour Wellbaby Nursery and the Variety Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- Unity Point Health – Iowa Methodist Medical Center: UnityPoint Health – Des Moines provides coordinated clinic, hospital and home-based care for patients in Des Moines and Central Iowa.
- Unity Point Health – Methodist West Hospital: The 12-bed maternity center includes private labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum rooms, allowing mothers to stay in one room for the duration of their stay. There is also a newborn nursery with one continuing care neonatal bed.
- Unity Point Heath – Des Moines – Iowa Lutheran Hospital: The hospital has 224 staffed beds and specializes in maternity services, emergency and trauma treatment, chemical dependency treatment, behavioral medicine, general surgery, critical care, transitional and skilled care services and home health care.
Des Moines NICUs
- Mercy One: MercyOne’s NICU offers Level III Care, the highest level of care as designated by the State. This means an advanced level of expertise, care and experience which is why MercyOne cares for more babies than any other Iowa hospital. You can stay together in the same hospital–just one or two floors apart.
- Unity Point Health – Blank Children’s Hospital: Blank Children’s Hospital, a service of UnityPoint Health – Des Moines, is completely dedicated to meeting the unique health care needs of children. Blank Children’s is an 108-bed environment that embraces and encourages families to be a part of their child’s healing and recovery. Everything from equipment to decor is designed specifically for children.
Des Moines Clinics
- Broadlawns East University Clinic: Broadlawns East University Clinic provides family medicine, urgent care, and a rotation of specialty services at its location in East Des Moines. Lab and Radiology services are also available onsite. The clinic is conveniently located on bus route #10.
- Christ the King Catholic Church: We offer free medical care to the community! Our free clinic was created using a network of dedicated, talented medical professionals, who volunteer their time to serve those who are unable to attain and maintain quality, affordable health care. Our hope is to provide essential minimal health assistance to children and families in need.
- Des Moines University Clinic: With an emphasis on wellness and prevention, our family medicine providers focus on getting to know you and tailoring a health plan to your needs. It’s preventative care that keeps you and your family healthy, no matter what stage of life.
- Dr. Nick Palmer-Jim Ellefson Free Medical Clinic: Services. We serve patients from all walks of life with no income limitation. The clinic currently offers acute care services only, such as urinary tract infection, flu, colds, sore throat, and ear infection. This involves short-term treatment for an injury or episode of illness. We cannot treat chronic conditions which require long-term care.
- Free Clinics of Iowa – Christ the King Free Clinic: Free Clinics of Iowa is a grassroots network of volunteer physicians who identify community needs and serve the underserved through free medical clinics. Services often include well child exams, physicals, screenings, and physical therapy.
- Free Clinics of Iowa – Corinthian Family Health Free Clinic: Free Clinics of Iowa is a grassroots network of volunteer physicians who identify community needs and serve the underserved through free medical clinics. Services often include well child exams, physicals, screenings, and physical therapy.
- Free Clinics of Iowa – Grace United Methodist Church Free Clinic: Free Clinics of Iowa is a grassroots network of volunteer physicians who identify community needs and serve the underserved through free medical clinics. Services often include well child exams, physicals, screenings, and physical therapy.
- Free Clinics of Iowa – Margaret Cramer Clinic: Free Clinics of Iowa is a grassroots network of volunteer physicians who identify community needs and serve the underserved through free medical clinics. Services often include well child exams, physicals, screenings, and physical therapy.
- Free Clinics of Iowa – Valley Junction Free Medical Clinic: Free Clinics of Iowa is a grassroots network of volunteer physicians who identify community needs and serve the underserved through free medical clinics. Services often include well child exams, physicals, screenings, and physical therapy.
- Iowa Primary Care Association – Bery Engebretsen Clinic: Health centers can provide you a one stop shop for health care services, providing medical, dental, behavioral health, vision, and enabling services under one roof. Patients can access high quality, affordable health care regardless of income or insurance status.
- MercyOne South Des Moines Family Medical Clinic: We are MercyOne: a connected system of health care facilities and services dedicated to helping you and your community live your best life.
- The Iowa Clinic – Methodist Medical Center – Plaza II: We are locally owned by doctors living and working in the communities we serve. Why does this matter? Because decisions about patient care are determined by you and your physician, not a larger corporate entity. Independence and control of patient care brought us together in 1994, and it’s what keeps us together today.
- The Iowa Clinic – The Iowa Clinic – West Des Moines Campus: The Iowa Clinic is well known for high-quality patient care and The Iowa Clinic West Des Moines Campus is the pinnacle of this sentiment. We pride ourselves on having a convenient location in the heart of West Des Moines. Our clinic offers cutting-edge medical treatments and patient-centric care.
- UnityPoint Clinic Family Medicine – East Des Moines/La Clinica de la Esperanza (The Clinic of Hope): The clinic is comprised of a team of medical professionals that are dedicated to serving the community as a consistent medical home for the Spanish-speaking Latino immigrant families and for others in the community without health insurance.
Financial Help in Des Moines, IA
- Brown Trial Firm: If your child suffered a serious birth injury, it’s time to act. A birth injury attorney can help you find answers to the questions you may have. We can advise you about your child’s legal rights, and whether you have a legal claim for compensation. You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, hospital visits, and future care like therapy and medical care taking.
- Iowa Compass Center for Disabilities and Development: Iowa Compass has information about grants and funding to meet the needs of people with disabilities, their family members, and care providers. Most of these help pay for assistive technology items.
- Iowa Department of Education: Iowa’s area education agencies (AEAs) are responsible for administration of Early ACCESS across the state to ensure that no matter where a family lives in Iowa, services will be available. Currently, Iowa is divided into nine AEA regions.
- Iowa Department of Human Services: The Iowa Medicaid Enterprise (IME) along will the Iowa Department of Education, Iowa Department of Public Health and the University of Iowa’s Child Health Specialty Clinics are responsible for the state-level early intervention system.
- Iowa Family Support Network: This program is designed to assist families raising a child with a disability in obtaining needed services and supports. The Family’s intent must be to secure services and support that enable their child to remain in the family home.
- Need Help Paying Bills: Several organization and government agencies in Iowa work to help the disabled. Any programs administered are in addition to support that people can find from local charities, federal government benefits, or regional non-profits. The disabled with a low income can also of course apply for other government cash assistance or benefits such as LIHEAP or food stamps.
Therapy Services in Des Moines, IA
- West Des Moines Physical Therapy: Our child-directed, family-centered approach has helped children of all ages with a variety of diagnoses and challenges including cerebral palsy, developmental delays, hypotonia, and more.
- Child Serve: ChildServe offers assessments to determine what additional services should be coordinated for each child. Our pediatric experts work together with primary care physicians, community providers, and other specialists to create care plans that meet the unique needs of each child.
- Unity Point Health: Occupational therapists help persons of all ages participate in the things they want or need to do through the use of activities. This could mean helping injured individuals recover their skills, assisting a child with disabilities with participating in school or social situations or helping older adults who are experiencing cognitive or physical changes.
- Mercy One: MercyOne Newton Medical Center pediatric speech therapy department serves toddlers and children in Newton, Jasper County and the Des Moines area with various types of speech and language disorders.
- Children’s Therapy Services, LTD: With a comprehensive range of services for children and adults, you will find exactly the right treatment. Call to schedule an appointment with our qualified therapists who will provide you with expert therapy to meet your specific needs.
- Des Moines Public School: School-based occupational and physical therapy is designed to assist students access the academic and school environment and participate to the maximum extent possible in educationally related activities.
- Select Physical Therapy: Our pediatric therapy programs help children excel through physical, occupational and speech language therapy. We offer therapy for children from birth to age 21 with a wide range of needs.
Support Organizations in Des Moines, IA
- ASK Resource Center: ASK (Access for Special Kids) Resource Center is a parent training, information, and advocacy center for families of children with special needs across the state of Iowa.
- Brain Injury Alliance of Iowa: The mission of the Brain Injury Alliance of Iowa is to create a better future through brain injury prevention, advocacy, education, research, and support.
- Child Health Specialty Clinics: Child Health Specialty Clinics (CHSC) is a community-based public health agency serving Iowa children and youth with special health care needs. Over 128,000 Iowa children and youth have or are at risk of having special health care needs.
- CP Parents of Iowa: This page is dedicated to the parents, caregivers, friends and family of Cerebral Palsy children throughout the state of Iowa. This page, and associated private group, are designed to serve as a resource for the parents and caregivers of children with CP in Iowa.
- Easter Seals Iowa: Easterseals Iowa provides exceptional services to ensure that all people with disabilities or special needs and their families have equal opportunities to live, learn, work and play in their communities.
- Freedom Concepts Inc: Working with medical professionals, therapists, and families, each Freedom Concepts model is thoughtfully designed to accommodate the needs of individuals with disabilities such as Cerebral Palsy, Spina Bifida, Muscular Dystrophy, Angelman Syndrome, Rett Syndrome, and visual impairment.
- Iowa Compass: Iowa Compass connects people with disabilities and complex health-related needs to services and supports in their communities throughout Iowa.
- Iowa Family Support Network: The Children at Home program can help with equipment, therapy, inclusion activities, caregiver education, personal care, and more.
- The Arc Iowa: The Arc represents, supports and acts on behalf of individuals and their families regardless of level of ability or membership in The Arc.
Recreation & Accessible Activities in Des Moines, IA
- Blank Park Zoo: All are welcome at the Blank Park Zoo! Our goal is to provide an inclusive and seamless experience for ALL guests regardless of age and ability.
- Courage League Sports: We adapt our programs through the use of interactive technology, upbeat rhythmic music, basic tumbling activities, sensory stimulation and other adapted activities built to meet the needs of your child.
- Dance Without Limits: Dance Without Limits is a 501c3 Non-Profit organization that provides a dance program in Des Moines, Iowa for children and young adults with special needs who may not otherwise have the opportunity to experience the joy of dance.
- Downtown Des Moines Skywalks: In the thick of winter, many of my favorite “indoor nature’ spots feel a little cramped. One of the few places to really let loose and run like you might on a hiking trail is the downtown skywalk system! If you drive downtown, you can see the glass walkways above the road that connect all of the buildings.
- DSM Children’s Museum: Children’s Museums are places for children and their caregivers. They are safe places that encourage child-led play. Purposeful, meaningful play is how children learn and help build their executive functioning skills. Children’s Museums are also fun!
- Easter Seals, Camp Sunnyside: The activities we have include fishing in our on-site lake, indoor rock-climbing wall, indoor heated swimming pool, archery, nature trail, arts/crafts, and horseback riding, and so much more.
- Get Air: We offer a dedicated time just for jumpers with special needs. Music is played at a lower volume and the park’s atmosphere is calmer. One parent or guardian can support jumpers on the trampoline for free. Siblings of jumpers are welcome to jump for the same price, but should be more careful during this time.
- Menagerie Stables: We offer therapeutic riding lessons for children with special needs.
- Miracle Park in Ankeny, Iowa: Miracle Park All-Inclusive Playground is Ankeny’s largest playground with more than 14,000 square feet of fun. The playground features double wide ramps going more than nine feet high and various play amenities that youth with and without special needs can enjoy.
- Pleasant Hill Doanes Park: Doanes Park, our oldest city park, serves our community with many nice features for passive recreation. This 43-acre community park is located on South Pleasant Hill Boulevard.
- Terra Park: A 200-acre park with an eight acre fishing lake surrounded by a great lawn for concerts and games, an open air civic shelter for large gatherings, a picnic pavilion, smaller shelters, a fishing pier, trails, children’s play structures that are handicap accessible, and numerous native plantings.